Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Homemade Lemon Curd
Our lemon poppy seed cake is a delicious dessert perfect for the spring and summer season. The combination of the light and airy poppy seed cake paired with rich lemon curd creates a wonderfully balanced treat. This dessert originated from one of our local farm to table dinners and was such a big hit we decided to make it a staple recipe for the summer. Now you can enjoy this recipe at home!
Ingredients (Makes 12 servings)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 13 fluid ounces evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
Steps for lemon curd:
1. Whisk eggs, sugar, and lemon juice in a double boiler over simmering water until mixed well, then continue to stir until thick, about 7 to 10 minutes.
2. Drain mixture through a mesh sieve to get rid of lumps. Fold in butter until well incorporated. Mix in lemon zest.
3. Cover curd and chill in the refrigerator until it has thickened, about 4 hours.
Steps for Poppy Seed Cake:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 inch cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking soda, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and add eggs, vanilla, oil and milk. Mix well. Then fold in the poppy seeds. Pour mixture into a 10 inch cake pan.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
4. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
5. Pour lemon curd over cooled cake and top with berries and whipped cream. Enjoy!